Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Day 61

Jessica, reaching muscle failure is easy. In my first set I do exactly how many of whatever Patrick demands. The max reps if he gives a range. The second set I do the same. The third usually is a fight to get to the minimum reps. The fourth and/or fifth involve a lot of shaking, grunting and getting as many reps in before I drop the band or fall on my face. With floorjumps it means I make a jumping motion, but the distance I leave the ground is roughly the thickness of two human hairs.

I know when I reach muscle failure when I can't drink my post work-out milk because the mug is too heavy to bring up to my mouth. From your day 60 post you're already reaching what I call muscle failure, which makes me wonder if I'm not really reaching muscle failure. Am I failing at failing?

4 comments:

  1. LOL! Guys, you're killing me here!

    Succeeding means failing, and if you're failing at failing then you're succeeding.

    My goodness. I think there's a koan in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That not being able to lift the mug thing means you failed pretty good. Maybe Jessica is just really really strong. Have we ever seen a picture of her in scale? Perhaps she's 8 feet tall or something.

    You're failing like a pro Mike, keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, the image of not being able to lift the milk mug just made me laugh out loud...and sort of want to cry a little since I know it's coming....

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.k., so I think we learned a valuable lesson here: we both fail. :D I just needed to revise my definition a little. And yes, I am very tall, over 6 feet! Just kidding, I'm short. Short but FIERCE!

    ReplyDelete