Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Day 18 - sick of bread and pasta

Take just a little diced bell pepper, green onion and mushrooms from your mise en place and sautee them in just enough olive oil so they don't stick to your large high-sided pan. Celery is also good, but I didn't have any prepared. Liberally coat with hot pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper as they cook. Other spicy red powders might also be good here. (see E's post on spices) Let that all cook down a bit to soften them up, stirring frequently. Add 1 and 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling add 1 cup of quinoa, I like the red, but don't really know if there is a difference. Turn the heat to low for a simmer and cover the pan. Cook away for 15 minutes, turn the stove off and let the pan stay covered on the cooling burner for 5 minutes or so. (can you tell I have an electric stove?)

While the quinoa is finishing, take your chicken breast you've just finished roasting and cut into smallish chunks. I like mine almost diced. Once the quinoa has absorbed all the water, measure it out into a bowl for that meals carbs. Zero the scale and mix with the chicken and you have a nice, simple, flavorful and lean carb & protein combo.

For my diet, this made enough protein for yesterday's dinner and today's lunch and enough carbs for last night's diner, breakfast and lunch. Roughly 460g carbs and 280g protein. After having 8 slices of rye at lunch yesterday, I was ready for a more dense carb.

Of course, while all this is going on you can also boil your eggs for the next couple days and you'll be set.

I had kind of a rough headache this morning so I'm playing hookie from work, after sleeping an extra five hours I feel much better. Off to do the workout now. Only annoying part is my meals will not be very spaced out.

1 comment:

  1. Very efficient way to get the grams in. You're getting pretty good at this Mike!

    ReplyDelete