Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day Two

I woke up at 3:45am to the kraka-TOOM of thunder and the sound of rain on the window. This was not good.

When my alarm went off 45 minutes later I knew I would not be attending my race today. I was supposed to run a localish sprint triathlon today, signed up for it months ago but kind of stopped training about after my last race. I figured I could finish, just with a weak time. However, open water swimming and lightening didn't seem like a good combination. The radar on NOAA.gov was ugly and the forecast said T-storms all day. So I went back to sleep.

Of course when I woke up again it was closer to race time and the thunder had stopped and the rain had died down. If I was really hardcore I guess I could of done the race. But transition would of been a swamp, my shoes would be soaked, the bike would of been dangerous and I would of had to drive for an hour in wet shorts once it was done.

Besides, there are some others in the fall I might sign up for once I'm closer to peak condition.

It also gave me a chance to go to church with my wife and afterward we went to a local diner where I had half a bowl of french onion soup and 5/7ths of a greek wrap, but only a few of the potato chips.

It was disappointing to miss the race, but this morning was great and it was nice to get the rest.

ANYWAY, I just finished the workout, and today wasn't too bad. I could feel soreness in some new spots from yesterday's jumpropes and squats. But once I started up and it felt good and my "no music while jumping rope" system worked to keep me from tripping on 4 of the 5 sets. I'm sure as I get more tired I'll trip more, but so far I've been pretty lucky. I also stretched some after the workout, hopefully that'll prevent the soreness some tomorrow.

Jessica suggested some tunes yesterday so I'll give you the songs that never ever leave my workout playlist:
  • The Passenger by Iggy Pop
  • Rough Gem by Islands
  • Life in Jail by Islands
  • Wake Up by Arcade Fire
  • Monday by Wilco
  • Hang On by Dr. Dog
  • You Are a Runner and I Am My Father's Son by Wolf Parade
I weighed in at 146.7lbs just now. I didn't really expect a change so soon, just wanted to get that down so when I look back later I can see the change.

Everyone else, enjoy your lunges if you haven't already. Breathe out on when pushing up. Don't stress the neck on the sit-ups. All that fun stuff. I know y'all can do it, stay strong, good luck!

3 comments:

  1. There's always another race. Knowing when to ease off the throttle is an important part of being truly healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and considering how sore my legs have become, it would of been a mistake right now, so for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm inspired by the thought of how well you'll do in your next triathalon...emotionally and physically!

    I am sore too, need to make sure to stretch...but I must say, it feels kinda good.

    ReplyDelete