Friday, August 7, 2009

Day Seven - In which I get preachy about fish

500 jumpropes is kind of a lot. I'm sure any of the June or July PCP'ers reading this are rolling their eyes and remembering fondly when Dear Leader Patrick only gave them 500 jumpropes. But really, it is kind of a lot. A lot to count too. Anyone else having trouble keeping track?

I wrote them down between sets. My first set I got all the way up to 120 before having to walk around a little bit and catch my breath. The it was more difficult, but I did manage one more set of 100 mixed in with a 70 and some smaller ones to fill in the gaps.

It is pretty amazing that in one week we've passed already to this point where 500 jumpropes is do-able. By no means a cakewalk, but not WTF inducing either.

So I clocked in at 143.1 today, creeping dangerously close to my panic weight of 139 lbs. I assume this is all part of the plan, because it is, right Patrick? Right? When we get the new food plan later it'll be full of eggs and veg and other goodies to keep me from wasting away? Or do I need to get over this arbitrary nature of weight X being good while weight Y is bad and just worry about fitness?

Looking forward to next week and the ten after that!

Happy day seven everyone, hope you all enjoy your last meal. Here is what I'm having, Alaskan Sockeye (Niklliq as the Alutiiq say) on the grill:

And real quick, let me be uppity for just one second. If you are forced to decide between frozen wild fish or fresh farmed fish pick the frozen every time. Hear me out. Study after study after study has shown that almost no one can tell the difference in taste between fish flash frozen on tenders or catcher-processors and that same fish cooked fresh, it is a food-snob myth.

Remember, friends don't let friends eat farmed fish.

4 comments:

  1. HI Mike, great post; totally agree with you on the fish issue (fisshue?).

    So this is how I keep track of my jropes: I do sets of 100, then do one of the other sets of a different exercise (i try to do all the leg ones, then abs, the arms if I can help it so yes I go a little out of order, but I tend to finish pretty weak, and arms can be the easiest for me at times and are a welcomed relief after the strenuous abs and legs).

    For example: I jump 100, draw a hashmark on my printed out PCP exercises of the day. Then I do a set of squats, hashmark. A set of 100 jumpropes, hashmark. A little like prison? Perhaps. Now that my jumpropes are 1,400/day, I try to do two 100 sets, two hashmarks, THEN a set of other exercises. Because then it feels like I only visit the "jumprope station" in my mind seven times, instead of a cringeworthy-pantwetting 14 times. I've also been known to walk around my house (approx the 20 second break) during exercises so I don't feel pinned to the driveway/exercises. I check out the clouds, my kiddo, my garden, the breeze. Then I can continue. I know my fears and excuses. I try to work around them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all part of the plan dude. Chillax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie and Mike-thanks for the post and ideas...About to do the 500, and I am sure as a procrastination technique, seemed to give the "top 10 ways to count 500 jump ropes" more time then thinking about the form. Laughing as I too have read other PCPers blogs ( those at the 1,200 plus mark ) and wondering how the heck they do it.
    Ok, now motivated thanks to both of you-off to make the kids a smoothie and do them already ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It becomes easier as time goes on.

    The easiest way to keep track of them is to move 5 objects. You can use anything, but smaller is better so they can travel with you easily. I use rolled up tin foil.

    ReplyDelete